- Two acres of large oaks on the salt dome of High Island provide protected habitat for migratory songbirds.
- TOS members may visit Hooks Woods free of charge. For non-members, purchase the Houston Audubon day pass or patch to get into Hooks Woods as well as Houston Audubon sanctuaries. Or to visit only Hooks Woods, the fee is $10 per person per day. Payment is deposited in the donation box upon entry, or you can pay online using the QR code on the entry signs.
- Park along the south side of 1st Street. Do not park or trespass on our neighbors' properties to the north of the sanctuary.
- Walk-in access is available at all times through a chain link gate on 1st Street.
- There are no restricted hours, but no camping of any kind is allowed. No pets are permitted.
- Lat/Long Location: 29.69814, -93.94797
- CLICK HERE FOR GOOGLE MAP DIRECTIONS
Check out what birds and other fauna and flora have been seen at Hooks Woods Sanctuary by clicking on the links below:
Texas Ornithological Society
Welcome to the Amazing World of Texas Birds!
If you love birds, Texas is definitely the place for you! With eight different geographical regions to explore, each offering its own, unique wildlife environment; more than 660 species to be discovered; and a location adjacent to the tropical regions of Mexico and Central America, you never know what you might see when you grab your binoculars and head out!
Texas Ornithological Society is proud to promote the discovery, knowledge, observation and conservation of birds in Texas since 1953.